Eat Me.

Anything you can do we can do vegan.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Maple Walnut Granola


























Granola is way easier to make then I ever thought possible. I must mention here Surrey's, a hidden gem of a restaurant in New Orleans, that serves the best home-made granola in the world. Not to mention the best bagels and avocado mash ever. And their coffee is the best ever. Plus they have really good juice. But back to point - their crispy, clumpy, warm granola served with soy milk and fresh fruit inspired me to try to make my own.

Granola must be one of those things that people make a million different ways. I opted for a low-temp, non-honey, non-sugar recipe that turned out crackaliscious. The only thing all the recipes I surveyed had in common was stirring the granola while baking every 10-15 minutes.

The first picture is of the granola fresh from the oven. The other picture is of my breakfast yesterday: the last of the granola, fresh blueberries, and almond milk. So fantastic. I think I want to try a peanut butter granola next. And my goal is to uncover the secret that makes it clump. Wish me luck.

Maple Walnut Granola

You Will Need
3 Cups Old-Fashioned Oats
1 Cup Finely Chopped Raw Walnuts
1/2 Cup + 2 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
1/2 Cup + 2 Tbsp. Expeller Pressed Canola Oil
1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/2 Tsp. Salt

Method
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. In a medium sized bowl mix together all liquid ingredients and salt. In large bowl combine oats and walnuts. Pour liquid mixture over dry ingredients and toss to coat evenly.

Spread oat/walnut/liquid mixture evenly on a 10x13 baking sheet. Place in oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Allow to cool on wire racks.

After cool store in an airtight container for up to a week. If it lasts that long around the house it can be frozen for up to three months.

No comments: