Eat Me.

Anything you can do we can do vegan.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Thinking of the weekend...

While I am sitting here waiting for Amos to make Kyuri No Sinome (Japanese cucumber salad) I thought I would blog about the roti we ate last night. I was excited but it turned out just O.K. It was a bit too dense for my taste but Amos liked it. Once I get the method and the recipe down I will be sure to post it. It was still way better than any of my attempts at making naan without the worries of yeast. Served with a dry chickpea and cauliflower curry it hit the spot.

One thing I think I need to post right away is the sweet strata recipe I spoke about a few days ago. It was adapted from this recipe posted on vegweb by mdvegan. I can't thank them enough for giving me a leg up on the vegan strata.


Cranberry-Walnut Strata

You will need:

1 package extra firm tofu
2 teaspoons orange zest
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
3 cups vanilla almond milk
2 tablespoons vegan sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 egg's worth Ener-g egg replacer (without liquid)

1 small loaf white bread (or a really fluffy wheat)
3/4 cups walnuts
1 to 1-1/2 cups dried cranberries

Method:

Start this process the night before you intend to eat the strata.

In blender puree tofu and 1-1/2 cups of the almond milk. (Go ahead and puree it all if you have a blender with that sort of capacity.) Add the zest, orange juice, nutritional yeast, sugar, egg replacer and vanilla. Blend.

With a serrated knife cut the loaf of bread into cubes. In large bowl mix bread cubes, cranberries and walnuts. Spread evenly in a greased 9x13 glass baking dish.

If needed use the large bowl to mix the remaining almond milk with the pureed mixture that has been hanging out in the blender.

Pour liquid over the bread in pan filling in all the dry spots. Place a sheet of plastic wrap over the dish and press down gently compressing everything evenly.

Store covered overnight in fridge.

The next day remove from fridge and allow to reach room temperature. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes or until top is golden brown. Serve with maple syrup.

Serves 8-12.

No comments: