Eat Me.

Anything you can do we can do vegan.

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Cranberry-Orange Relish

Our friend Jordan asked us to pass along this recipe. We made it last year for Thanksgiving and I usually make it a few times during the year when I can get your hands on some fresh cranberries. My family has been making it at Thanksgiving ever since I can remember. (Although I didn't like it much as a child!) It also made an appearance in our wedding cake as the filling layered between lemon pound cake. Amos and I slather it on just about everything - cake, cookies, toast, vegetables. The tartness and lemonyness is a perfect contrast to all those sweet things we are bound to have around the house during the holidays.

Cranberry-Orange Relish

1 12-oz. Bag Fresh Cranberries
3/4 C Sugar
1/3 C Orange Liquer
1/2 C Orange Juice
1/4 Tsp. Allspice
1/4 Tsp. Ground Cloves
1/4 Tsp. Ground Ginger
1 Tbsp. Orange Zest

Combine all ingredients in a non aluminum pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring frequently. The cranberries will begin to pop (my favorite part!) and the mixture will thicken slightly. This should take about ten minutes.

Remove from heat and store in an airtight container in refrigerator or serve warm.

No comments: