Eat Me.

Anything you can do we can do vegan.

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Easter Brunch

I think it is worth mentioning our Easter Brunch even though it was a few weeks ago. We had some friends over (whose families like ours live hundreds of miles away) for a potluck brunch, mimosas and egg hunt. Plastic eggs of course.

What I did was used this gathering of friends to stage a strata show down. Strata is a savory bread pudding of sorts with eggs, milk, cheese and sausage that sits overnight in your fridge and when you wake up in the morning you sort of just shuffle out to the kitchen and stick it in the oven. It used to be one of my favorite brunch foods before we went vegan. Of course the original recipe is not vegan but with a little help from a recipe found on vegweb and another on 100 cookbooks we came up with both a savory and a sweet strata. The sweet strata was clearly the favorite among the guests but I think it might have had something to do with the maple syrup we had to go with it. In my opinion they were both fantastic.

My main reason for posting this however was the phenomenal orchid our friend Jack brought over for us that inspired some photography. And since this blog is supposed to be about both amazing recipes and amazing food photography I thought I could at least post a photo that looks good even if it isn't all about food. Click on the photos to see the complete photo set that also includes the adorable centerpiece my grandmother sent over.









No comments: